Friday, August 12, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea : Matthew Chapter 12: 43-50

Good morning! Happy Friday to you. : )

Today we are finishing up chapter 12 of Matthew. Jesus is continuing to speak.

43. When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.
44. Then he saith, I will return into my home from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept and garnished.
45. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and the enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.


Jesus speaks clearly here, and although we don't deal with unclean spirits, we do continue to deal with sin. When we rid ourselves of sin, it leaves an empty space. If we do not immediately fill that space with something good, the sin comes right back, and sometimes we find it worse than before. For example, if I wanted to stop using foul language, I would pray to God for forgiveness of that sin and ask for his help in curbing it. It would then be up to me to be aware of when I'm likely to use such language, and also to fill my heart with better examples of speech. 
 To use another example, those who have quit smoking or have tried to quit smoking know it's a hard thing to give up. This is why most cessation plans and articles suggest that you change your routine so that you aren't hanging out with your fellow smokers at break time and that you find something to do with your mouth and hands -- chewing gum, taking up crochet or knitting for example. I don't know first hand how hard it is to quit, but I know others who have and most have been successful.

While Jesus was talking, his mother and brothers came to see him. Someone told Jesus that they were here to speak with him, and Jesus had another lesson for his followers;
  48. But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
 49. And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50. For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
 So was Jesus telling them he did not wish to see his family? No! He was pointing out that we have a spiritual family now who will be there for us.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment