Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea; Matthew Chapter 11

  **** I was offline for nearly a week. During that time I continued the bible study and wrote down my thoughts each day. Those who read the Morning cup of Tea series will notice the jump from where we left off to now. Begging your forgiveness at this time, I am starting with today's lesson and then will backtrack to the previous days so I won't get lazy in my reading. It would be easy for me to simply go by my notes and take a few days off my reading, but I don't wish to make that a habit. Please bear with me.

During this time, in chapter 10 Jesus had given instruction to his 12 apostles concerning preaching. John the baptizer is now in prison and he has sent two of his own disciples to Jesus. They asked Jesus if he was indeed the Christ or should they look for another? Jesus told them to go back to John and tell them of the sick being healed and the dead being raised.
  After John's disciples had left, Jesus told the multitudes about John, and he had much good to say about him. 
 He proclaimed John the baptizer to be the one sent before the Christ to pave the way.
  Jesus rebuked the cities who had seen the works of Jesus and had yet to change their ways. We today no longer have Jesus walking among us performing miracles. We have the Word of God as our witness to who he is. It is our choice to read and to know. 
  At the end of the chapter Jesus gives words of encouragement.
28. Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29.Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.


Jesus did not say our lives here would be all fun and games. Life can and will be hard at times. But Jesus can ease those burdens here if we lean on him. Eventually, if we do God's will, we will receive eternal peace. My own life has been far from easy, even though from the world's standards I haven't even begun to know suffering.  After all, I live in a country that is still free. I still have a home to live in and I have things like running water and electricity, which some of the world still considers luxuries only the rich have.  But when life does throw me a curveball, it helps to know that I am not going it alone. He is there.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment