Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Gratituesday: My Husband's Work Schedule

Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

I never really know what I'm going to write about for gratituesday until I sit down. So much goes through my mind. I know other writers plan out what they will talk about each day, but I tend to fly by the seat of my pants these days. It works for me, and that's good because it has to.
  Today I'm grateful most for my husband's schedule. There are many days I complain (loudly) about it, especially if he's working second shift. You see, these days my husband works a rotating shift. One week he's on first shift (love it), another week he is on third shift (not my favorite, but I can deal with it. Once J is asleep I'm free to go on to bed myself or watch a movie or tv show on netflix. Then there is second shift. It takes up most of the day and into the night. J tends to have his meltdowns during those hours if he is going to have them. It splits up the day wrong and if I fall asleep before my husband gets home, I'm awake when he comes through the door. I could go on and on, but I think I'll spare you my whining diatribe on why I don't like second shift. Although if you really want to hear it , I'd be happy to tell you another time.. (wink).
  I really am grateful for my husband's schedule though. First and foremost it means he has a job. We can pay the bills and manage through the week. Also, it means I get a break on different days.  My husband is currently on his weekend until tomorrow night so yesterday I was able to visit a friend for her birthday. 
  And during the week days if Jim has mornings off I know that he and J can spend time together and I can focus on my writing or hosting for pogo without interruption. Or we can go run errands or clean together. The schedule fits. It has its drawbacks, such as Jim not getting enough rest sometimes before work because of other things, but we're working on that.  
  What are you grateful for today? 

3 comments:

  1. I second that! My husband has unpredictable hours - though not as much as yours - that makes it vital that my schedule be completely flexible. Sometimes I want to commit to something knowing that his schedule won't allow it and I get frustrated - but then, I get to be completely home with my children, and how wonderful is that?? It all works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...he has a job." Amen to that! I find myself grumbling from time to time about how little my husband is able to be home, yet HE HAS A JOB!! Keeping a right perspective and being flexible is key, is it not? Thanks for sharing! Blessings to you, ~Lisa
    (visiting from Heavenly Homemakers) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby is an ironworker....meaning sometimes he works, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes when he works, it's a long drive from home or occasionally overnight. We love it when he's home, but the pay is terrible. So...it's bittersweet when he has to go back to work. Our issues aren't as much as the hours as the 'feast or famine' income. I am so thankful that he gets extra time with us at home, though...even thought it means sporatic income. I'm also thankful for the time when he gets to work, to 'money up' as he calls it...lol. Overall, I guess I'd have to say that I'm thankful for my hubby and his willingness to do whatever he has to do support us......

    ReplyDelete