Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea: Jesus Quiets the Wind

Good Sunday morning to you! I am home today, due to my husband's work schedule. It will be a quiet day, just J and me.
 Today we are finishing up chapter 4 of Mark. Sometimes I just want to zip through some of the chapters because they are similar to what we just read in Matthew. But what would I learn if I did that? Reading something over and over helps the information to stick better in the mind, and you comprehend it more. My mother in law, who these days listens to the bible more than she reads, says she learns something new all the time. There are always new lessons to be learned in the scriptures if we look.
  Jesus said in v24: And he said unto them, Take heed with what ye hear:with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given.
 25. For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath.
 I like the next parable where Jesus says the Kingdom of God is as if a man had cast seed into the ground. The man sleeps, and watches the field by day, and the seed grows. The man doesn't really know how. But the fruit comes up; first the blade,  then the ear, after that the full corn. When the fruit is ready, then the harvest comes. (Mark 4:26-28)
  Jesus told them more parables, and sent the multitude on their way. He wanted to go to the next place by ship.  Jesus, I imagine, was worn out from teaching and healing, so he was asleep deep in the ship. A storm came up and tossed the boat around, and the waves brought water into the boat. His disciples came and woke him.
 Master! They cried. There is a storm, don't you care that we are all going to die?
 39. And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still.  And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. 
40. And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?
41. And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?
 I have a lot of "favorites" in the bible; lots of verses and stories for lack of a better word, reach out to me, touch me more than others. Jesus calming the wind and the sea always gets to me.  How often do we have storms in our own lives: loneliness, troubles that seem to come out of nowhere, fears that threaten to drown us like the sea did to the disciples and the others on the ship. And yet, if we let him, all Jesus has to do is say Peace, be still and things calm down again. All too often we (I) forget that Jesus is wanting to help. Is our faith an ongoing daily walk with Jesus, or do we have God in a bottle like a genie: we figure oh dear, I'm really stuck now, Lord please help me? He isn't a genie. He isn't Santa Claus. He is there to help us, but he also wants a daily relationship, to know your good times as well as your bad times. But when the bad times come, let Jesus say Peace, be still.  

No comments:

Post a Comment