Friday, September 9, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea: Continuing Matthew Chapter 23

I knew when I read the chapter yesterday that Jesus had a lot to say in this passage. Still I thought I could honestly wrap it all up in one or two nice, neat little packages and move on. I can't.  This one chapter is going to take a few days.
 Each time I spend more than a day on  a chapter I try to read the whole chapter each time. Today I felt myself bog down in it. There are so many lessons here, so much that Jesus is warning us about concerning false doctrine and false teachers. And some lessons for the ones who want to teach the right thing as well. This is how I perceive this chapter anyway. 
 Yesterday Jesus was commenting on how showy the Pharisees are, with their garments, loving the uppermost rooms at feasts so everyone can see them,  loving to hear those in the market place calling Rabbi, Rabbi !! (v 7)
8. But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
9. And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
10. Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.
11. But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. 
12. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
There should be no titles when it comes to men who preach the gospel. Jesus laid it all out plainly here. We have but one we are to revere : Jesus. God is our Father, and shall always be. 
  I was confused by that as a child. I said, I have two daddys! An older friend said no, you have one Daddy, and one Father, the One in heaven.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment