Thursday, September 1, 2011

Learning Lessons

I am becoming grateful for my age. The older I become, the more I realize I have much left to learn. And while I do hope that I can teach others through this blog, I learn so much myself. I've seen first hand how I can read the scripture, talk about it, and sooner or later (sooner this time) I get tested somehow. Forgiveness is a lesson I wrote about a day or so ago in my Morning Cup of Tea series. Matthew 18: 21-35 speaks of the king and the servant who owed him money. One more lesson I learned about forgiveness is compassion for the other person --putting yourself in their shoes for a little bit. Tonight I was verbally attacked by someone. At first I allowed myself to become angry and argue back. That was very wrong of me. I should have known better. I could blame it on the stressful day -- not much sleep, having to ask for help, yada yada, but those are excuses. But I vented to my husband and realized, hey wait a second here. This person is going through some stressful stuff too. I just happened to be the vent target and I fell for the bait.
  Anger, bitterness, frustration, it's all tied in. I don't like the person I see in the mirror when I allow those feelings to come out. God doesn't like my reactions. Forgiveness feels so much better. I can't help what others may choose to do, but I can control my own thoughts and actions. I still have many lessons to learn. I am thankful for the opportunity to learn them. Have a great night.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment