Friday, September 23, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea: Jesus, Followed by the Multitudes

Good morning. I have a companion with me this morning as I write. He insists that his place is near the monitor screen. Chubs is one of five cats who live here with my family and me, and one is just as spoiled as the next, but the others don't care so much to be around me during the day. They prefer to lavish their affection during the evenings and dinner time.
  In the next few verses of Mark chapter three, Mark gives a description of Jesus being nearly mobbed by his followers. Many wanted to be healed or have a loved one healed, others wanted to hear him speak. His disciples, the twelve whom he charged to go and preach and also gave the power to heal, probably felt like Jesus' body guards at times. At one point they went into a house 
 v20. And the multitude cometh together again, so that they could not so much as eat bread.
  Although at one point he got on a small boat while the multitude stayed on the shore (v9) Jesus never turned anyone away. He preached the gospel, he healed the sick, he raised the dead. There were times he needed to be alone though, and it seems he tended to retreat to the mountains during those times. 
  It was during one of these times that the multitudes had him healing so many that his friends tried to pull him away because they thought perhaps he'd gone  mad (v21).  The scribes who had come from Jerusalem gave their own spin on things. "He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils." (v22.
  23. And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?
24. And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
25. And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.
26. And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.
27. No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man: and then he will spoil his house.
  Jesus then went on to rebuke the scribes and told them that all sins would be forgiven except the blasphemies against the Holy Spirit (v 28 and 29) . When I read about the unpardonable sin in Matthew, I did not really understand it and got some help in understanding. This article here   from Apologetics Press  helped me to understand it better. The articles from Apologetics Press are written by knowledgeable men who study the bible greatly and are a good resource.
  The chapter finishes with Mary, Jesus' mother, and his brothers coming to find him. They called to him and Jesus was told they were looking for him.  Jesus asked them, Who is my mother? Who are my brothers? (v33)
 34. And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
 35. For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and my mother.
 He was not discounting his relationship with his kin; he was stating that his family is made up of people who do the Father's will.     

No comments:

Post a Comment