Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea: Judge Not

Good afternoon! 
 Today we are focusing on three verses in chapter six of Luke: 
 36. Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father is merciful.
 37. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged; condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned; forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
 38. Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
  The words do not judge, to some, mean, don't tell me when I am doing wrong, period. As a mother, when I see my son doing something wrong, especially something that can hurt him, I let him know, quickly. As a Christian, if I know someone is doing wrong, especially if the person is a Christian, then I need to go to her or him and discuss the matter. 
  If we read all three verses together we see that whatever I put out into the world will come back to me, whether goodness or evil. So I should be careful how I broach a subject. If I handle a situation in a manner that suggests I am better than the person I am trying to counsel, then I am wrong.  The fact of the matter is we all sin. In God's eyes sin is sin. Doesn't matter that for example, I lied to a friend while Susy committed adultery. Both are sins. I need to take care of my own sin before talking with Susy about hers, and I should do it in love. 
   Judging also has what seems to be a more acceptable (to the world) connotation. Somehow it became wrong to tell a person they were in danger of hellfire because that is "judging" but its perfectly okay to decide that Alice is a horrible person because her house isn't as spotless as I believe it should be, or that Joe should have his kids taken away because he is obese and may teach bad eating habits to his children. One woman judged many, including me, on a forum that should have brought us together. A hot button issue was brought up --vaccination -- and she proclaimed to the world that she hoped the children of those of us refusing vaccination would die because of that decision. That, my friends, is standing in judgement and is absolutely wrong. I think that is the judgement Jesus is saying is wrong. I would like to do a study on judging, and will probably do so after the study of Luke and John , and before we start on Acts.
  Judging is a hard topic to write about because so many (self included at times) believe  in don't you dare judge me but its okay for me to judge you. Truth is, whether we try to (lovingly) point out a sin that needs to be taken care of or standing in judgement on a personal matter, we need to understand that either way we put ourselves in the spotlight so that others can point out our own faults, whether sin or difference of priority. Focus on your own life before you speak, and remember to be merciful. Forgive those who need to be forgiven, help those who need help, but keep in mind your own imperfections. Discuss without attacking. While sin can't and should not be ignored, do so in such a way so as not to push the person away. Have a wonderful day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment