Monday, December 12, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea: Receiving Jesus, Indecision

Good morning! It seems as if I am falling into a routine of not posting on weekends. Part of it, I think, is my husband's schedule. Now that we are dealing with just one computer we have to share internet time. Part of it also is busyness and laziness at times. I wonder though, should I continue this? Should I not?
  Today we are finishing up the ninth chapter of Luke, beginning in verse 46. The disciples were discussing among themselves who was the greatest. When they finally admitted this, Jesus took a child and brought him near.
  48. And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.
  Afterwards, when Jesus was set to go into a town of Samaritans, they would not receive him. James and John saw this and asked if Jesus was going to command fire to come down from heaven as Elijah did, and be done with the people there.  Jesus told them the Son of man did not come to destroy people but to save people and they went to another village. (v54-56)
  While they were on their way, various men came to him saying they wanted to follow him.Jesus had an answer for each of them. To the first he told them that the Son of man had no home of his own. To the second, who wanted to follow him but first wanted to bury his father, Jesus said "let the dead bury the dead." And to the third, who wanted to first say goodbye to his family, Jesus told him not to look back (paraphrasing all three).
  Jesus wasn't saying these things to be mean.He was addressing excuses and what I grew up knowing as backsliding.  While we do have responsibilities here on earth, we should not use our earthly cares as an excuse not to follow the will of God. How many times have I thought to myself, I can't teach a class because I have a child who needs me? Or, I can't have anyone over because the house is too small and too cluttered? Excuses all. And sometimes I let others make that first excuse for me. The truth of the matter is that while I may be hindered from teaching a class because of taking care of J or because of whatever reason, I am able to teach. J can either sit with his father or be near enough to me so as not to be a distraction. Or I can get my home cleaned up and invite others here.  What we want to do, we will find a way to do. If we really don't want to do something, we will find excuse not to. In the end though, we know the truth and so does God, and we will answer to our actions one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment