Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea: O Be Careful Little Eyes...

Good morning! I'm sorry I missed yesterday but my monitor decided to die on me. I know as much about computers as I do cars. For the most part you start em up and go, so I had to wait till my husband could hook up the computer to another monitor we still had. 
 I will try to catch up with another Cup of Tea later in the day, but I'm making no promises. 
  Growing up, I attended a small baptist church near my home. On Wednesday nights before choir practice I'd help out with the younger kids. and one of the the songs we sang during that time was O Be Careful Little Eyes. Do you know that one?
  O  be careful little eyes what you see
  o be careful litle eyes what you see
  For there's a Father up above
  Who's looking down in love
  So be careful little eyes what you see.

And there were verses for be careful little hands what you do, be careful little feet where you go, and be careful little ears what you hear, and be careful little mouth what you say.  A gentle reminder that we should be careful what we say or do. Sometimes I think maybe when we wake up one of the first things we should do is sing that song. If we kept those things in mind during the day perhaps we wouldn't say or do some of the things we end up doing.
  Our lesson today is Mark 6:17-23. Remember, Jesus had just had a conversation with the Pharisees about hand washing, and following the traditions of man versus adhering to the commandments of God. He told them it isnt what goes into a man that defiles him, but what comes out of man that defiles him. 
 The disciples asked him about this when they went into the house. Jesus explained that what a person takes in through the mouth does not go into the heart, but into the belly, and is soon passed through the system and out of the body.  But what comes out of the person is what defiles him or her.
 21. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders.
22. Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
23. All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.
  We must guard our thoughts because our thoughts become deeds. There was a murder in the area last week. A man brutally killed his ex wife in a manner that I won't repeat here. It was horrifying to say the least. Apparently, however, the two were locked in a custody battle that he was determined to win.   Because of Cain's thoughts he ended up killing his brother Abel. While most of us wouldn't kill someone physically, where have some of our thoughts led us? O be careful little heart what you think... 

No comments:

Post a Comment