Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea: By Whose Authority?

Good morning! I hope you have a hot cup of tea this morning, or maybe some hot cocoa with marshmallows, or (my favorite this time of year) some hot apple cider. My son has decided to join me this morning. He is sitting beside me, watching me type and trying to convince me he's hungry. He ate five minutes ago, if that.
 Today we are finishing up chapter eleven of Mark. Beginning in verse 27, Jesus is back in Jerusalem and once again at the temple. The chief priests and the scribes and the elders are there. It's no secret that they don't care for Jesus and his brand of teaching. So they ask him, By whose authority do you do these things? Who gave you the authority?
  Jesus knows what they are up to so he says okay, (paraphrasing here) I'll ask you a question and if you can answer it, I'll answer your question. 
 30. The baptism of John, was it from heaven, or of men? Answer me.
 They talked among themselves, and understood that if they said the baptism of John was from men, they'd be in trouble with the people because John was considered by them a prophet. If they said the baptism was from heaven, Jesus would ask why they did not believe. So they simply said, we cannot tell. And Jesus told them, neither do I tell you by what authority I do these things. (v33)
  Jesus talks with them calmly and does not let them  bother him. He knows right now all they are going to do is ask him questions to try and tempt him into what they would consider blasphemy. He knows that they will arrest him at some point, but the time is not yet. Until then, he continues to teach and to prepare his disciples for what is to come. Our job these days is to teach others and to prepare for judgement. We do not know when our time on earth will be done, whether by illness, accident, or the second coming. But once our time here is over, there is no second chance to come to Jesus.  If you have not yet obeyed the gospel, I urge you to study, repent of your sins, be baptised, and live for Christ.  
  Have a wonderful day, ladies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment