Monday, July 25, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea: Stop Worrying

Today we are finishing up chapter 6 of Matthew. We are reading verses 25-34. I wont copy the whole passage, but I will encourage you to read it. I think one of my goals should be to commit this passage to memory because I inherited the "worry gene" from my mother. I understand what Jesus is saying here, and I have read many times  Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? (v 27.) My mother's answer? I've GOT to worry! No, you don't. God doesn't want us to worry! While I don't think or say I've got to worry, I do gnaw on a situation like a bone sometimes. What I should be doing is praying to God. He knows my needs! And He will make sure my needs are met.
  Does this mean all I have to do is sit back and let the blessings flow? No. I need to continue to work my part. While I may not ever end up with the 3 story Victorian home that's been my dream home forever, I will have a place to live that I can be happy and content in. While my pantry may not be overflowing, we have yet to starve. Somehow my husband's check stretches or God provides another source. 
31. Therefore take no thought, saying: What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32.(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that you have need of these all these things.
33.But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
 My translation on those two? Look to God first in all things. He will take care of you. Stop borrowing trouble from tomorrow. Each day has enough of its own problems to deal with. 
  Above all, seek first the kingdom of God. He knows your needs, wants, desires. He still wants to hear from you. While we aren't promised everything we want in this life, our needs will be met. Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment