Friday, July 22, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea: Fasting

Good morning! I'm a little late getting this post out today. J had a hard time getting to sleep last night.Usually when he wakes before I do I hear him singing or giggling. This time he was sitting quietly in the living room playing with a toy car meant to be put together and taken apart. I am thankful for moments such as these, not so much that I was allowed to sleep a bit, but that he was showing patience and self reliance and a host of other things I may blog about later.
 
Today's scripture is Matthew 6:16-18
16. Moreover, when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
17. But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head and wash thy face;
18. That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto they Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

Admittedly, I do not know very much about fasting. Not enough to decide whether to implement it in my life or not. Sometime down the road I may do a study on it. 
 But here, Jesus tells us that when we fast, don't be a martyr. This should be something done in secret, between you and God. Otherwise it turns into an attention seeking device. Instead of going around looking as if you hadn't eaten in three days, put a smile on your face and continue on with your day. 
 Have a wonderful day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment