Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea: The Golden Rule and the Straight Gate

Good morning! I so look forward to this time each morning, because I learn so much taking it slower. One effect from doing my bible study online is that my spiritual appetite has increased! I want to read more and more of the bible at a time and I pay more attention in worship. When I read or hear someone mention a scripture I want to look it up immediately and read it for myself. There is so much I have yet to learn and sometimes I feel I have such a short time to learn it all.
 Today's scripture is Matthew 7:12-14
12. Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
 You may recognize this as the "golden rule" : Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  Among other things, I think it means treat each person kindly, and with respect. This does not mean we have to be a pushover. I'll tell you a little secret here, this is something I need to work on a bit. Not so much with strangers as it is with the ones I am closest to. Instead of snarling and wanting to bite someone's head off when things aren't going right, we need to step back and realize that our attitude, words and actions either show Christ within us, or it doesnt. And even if the other person "set us off" we may not always know what is going on in their lives. Maybe they really are just a horrible, horrible person. But more likely, they are dealing with some hard knocks of life as well. Deal firmly with someone if you must, but do so gently. Think about how you would like to be treated and act accordingly.

13. Enter ye at the strait gate: for wide the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat;
14. Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.  
Jesus is issuing a warning here: Don't follow the crowd. Think about what it is you are doing. God has given us a path that he would like us to follow if we wish to do his will. The guide is God's word. If we do not study for ourselves, how will we know when we are being led astray?  We will read more about that tomorrow.
  Thank you for joining me. I hope you have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment