Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Morning Cup of Tea: Zachaeus

 Good Sunday morning! Today's reading is Luke 19:1-10. Do you remember in bible class a song about Zacchaeus? Zacchaeus was a wee little man, and a wee little man was he; he climbed up in a sycamore tree to see what he could see, to see what he could see.  My mind is a bit fuzz on part of it, but Jesus stopped and said Zaccheus, you come down from there! For I'm coming to your house today, I'm coming to your house today.
  Zacchaeus was chief of the tax collectors and he was very rich. He had heard that Jesus was coming through Jericho, and he wanted to see him for himself. But many other people wanted to see Jesus as well, and because Zacchaeus was small he couldn't see past all the other people. He climbed up into a sycamore tree. Sure enough, Jesus walked by and saw him there. Jesus told him, Zacchaeus, hurry down from there. I'm coming to your home today.  Verse 6 says that Zacchaeus received him joyfully. 
  Of course there was the usual back talk from others. Look! Jesus associates with sinners! But Jesus wasn't there to save those who were "good", he came to save the lost. Zacchaeus told Jesus that  he would give half of his goods to the poor and if he had taken anything from anyone falsely, he would repay it four fold. Jesus told him that that very day salvation had come to his household.
 10. For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
  Jesus spent a lot of time with sinners, teaching them and loving them. He taught truth to all who would listen.  His time here on earth was short, but he did so much. He didn't keep himself from the ones who needed the message, wanted to hear it. He did not sin so he didn't participate in anything that was wrong, but he was accessible. 
  A friend brought us some greens from his garden yesterday. He shared with us that when a friend of his taught him and he obeyed the gospel, the friend later admitted that he thought, because of the way my friend lived, he would be unwilling to even hear. People will surprise you. Show you love and care for them first. Don't be so quick to judge who will accept or who "can" become a Christian. 
 On a personal note, I am thankful to have the chance to continue learning. Some things hit me as I read, some come as I write. I have so much to learn. I am happy to have you along for the journey. If you take the time to read my posts, thank you. Have a great day. 

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful story! This one always convicts me. I'm not ashamed to be around "sinners", but do I teach them? Is salvation coming to their houses today because of my being around them and teaching them God's word?

    ReplyDelete