Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Morning Cup of Tea: The Blind Beggar

  Good morning! Today is fairly chilly so far. I know we are going to have winter in here somewhere but the last two days I've allowed myself to go barefoot some and I've seen dandelions popping up. 
  Today we are finishing chapter 18. I'm a little slow reading the bible, but I don't learn as much if I speed through it like some of the other books I read. There are many many lessons in the bible. I don't know that I will learn them all in my lifetime, but i want to learn as much as possible.
   Its always harder for me when I know Jesus is heading toward Jerusalem. I know what happens and I know why he did it --so that you and I could have eternal life if we obey the gospel. It's the greatest love story ever. 
  Sorry, getting thoughtful there. Back to the reading in Luke. As stated earlier, we are finishing chapter 18, verses 26 through 43. I only bring out parts of the reading, and being human, I may make a mistake. I encourage you to read it for yourself.
  After hearing Jesus tell them that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven, someone asked, Who can be saved?  Jesus' answer,  The things which are impossible with men are possible with God (v 27) makes me wonder if the person who asked that had begun to doubt that anyone at all could be saved. While we aren't anywhere near perfect though we try to be, God can help us. 
  In verses 29 and 30 Jesus reassured his followers, and us, that those who give up homes and family will receive so much more in heaven. This doesn't mean that we are to drop everything and everyone around us. But some will leave loved ones behind to go into the mission field abroad or here at home. The desire to reach and teach others, sometimes at the risk of their lives because of where they choose to spread God's message, is stronger than the desire to have a typical job and a typical home with the cable tv and the electronic whozits and whatzits that keep us busy.  Some get told, in one way or another, to choose between God and family. 
  Jesus took his twelve disciples and told them they were going to Jerusalem, and the writings of the prophets about Christ would be fulfilled. He told them that he would be beaten and killed, but he would rise again on the third day. They did not understand this. During that time, I probably wouldn't have understood either. 
   They came near to Jericho and a blind beggar was on the side of the road. He heard the multitude passing by and asked what it was all about. When he was told that Jesus was going by, he called out  Jesus, thou son of David, have mercy on me (v38). Others told him to keep quiet, but he was not going to be deterred. He got even louder. Thou son of David, have mercy on me!
  The man was not going to give up. He knew who Jesus was and he had faith Jesus could help him. Jesus came to him and asked what he wanted. The man replied he wanted his sight.  Jesus told him, Receive thy sight: thy faith hath saved thee. 
 43. And immediately he received his sight, and followed him (Jesus), glorifying God: and all the people, when they saw it, gave praise unto God.
  Immediately he received his sight! I love that. The man knew Jesus could give him his sight. He asked in faith, and was rewarded for it.  And those who saw the miracle performed and those who later saw that the beggar could see gave praise to God. That was the purpose of miracles, to glorify God, and I think, to show that Jesus was the one that God had promised.
  Have a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment