Monday, January 30, 2012

A Morning Cup of Tea: Parable of Ten Pounds

Good morning! How are you today? I hope you had a pleasant Lord's day, as I did. My husband, son and I went to worship, then spent the afternoon quietly together, resting  and talking and reading and creating just a little. Last night was our monthly singing night in our congregation. Such beautiful hymns the congregation chose for the evening.
  Today's reading is Luke 19:11-27.  Jesus told a parable of a nobleman who went into a far off country to receive a kingdom then return. Before he left he called his ten servants and gave each of them a pound. They were to handle things till the nobleman got back. 
  The man was hated, and his citizens said we will not have this man rule over us! When the man took the kingdom and came home, he called his servants to him one by one. One servant told him, I took the one pound and now I have ten pounds. The nobleman praised him for such good work and rewarded him with authority over ten cities. Another servant had taken the one pound and now had five pounds. Again, the nobleman praised the servant and rewarded him with authority over 5 cities. But there was one who had taken the pound and wrapped it in a napkin and hid it away. He had not gained anymore.
  The nobleman rebuked him for this. Because he did well with what he owned and gained more, he expected his servants to do the same. He took the pound away from that servant and gave it to the one who had ten pounds. 
  The nobleman is Christ. We are the servants. We are supposed to do his will until he returns. We should be teaching others, through example as well as in word, whether it's our children, other family members, our friends, or just simply someone  with whom you strike up a conversation. My mother in law told me that while she was in the hospital after having one of her children --my husband I think -- the woman in the bed next to hers noticed mom reading her bible. The woman asked her which church she was a member of, then told her about the Church of Christ. You never know when an opportunity will present itself.
 Have a wonderful day.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I wonder if my one pound has been taken away for disuse.

    ReplyDelete