Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Gratituesday: Enough

 In this world of advertising and subtle (and often not so subtle) messages that we must have more: more money, more clothes, more food, more craft supplies! --okay, maybe not everyone gets that last one.  But the message is out there. What you have now is dated, worn out, old. You have to have bigger, better. You can't be happy living in a two bedroom, one bath house with no cable or dsl and the newest gadgets known to man. You have to keep up with the Joneses and the Martins and the Smiths. 
  Lately though, I've finally caught on to a very good lesson: I don't need more. I have enough. Except for Netflix, we are television free. Have been for a little more than two years. At first it was a financial decision, and a hard one at that. At first I lamented not having anything to do. On some Mondays I would go to my mother's house so I could visit and watch a tv show or two with her. But I stopped doing that so much. Although there are times, like holidays, that I miss some of the movies and such, I do not miss all the commercials.
  I do live in a two bedroom house, and am looking to move into another two bedroom home. Would I like a three bedroom home so that i have more room? Oh yes! Anyone who has heard me talk or read about my dream home    knows that I would love more space. But I'm learning to live within the confines of our budget, and I'm learning to be happy with what I've got. I have a hard time figuring out what needs to stay and what needs to go still, and if I see a craft catalog or am near a craft store, I begin to drool like a kid in a candy store. I'm still learning the meaning of enough with that subject. (smile)
   While I still have my eye on markers and card stock and new stamp sets, I know that a little at a time is okay, and they will most likely be available. For day to day living, though, I'm learning to trust that God is in control. We don't have a lot, but we have enough. It was a lesson He wanted to teach the Israelites after they left Egypt. They were given manna to gather each day. If they tried to gather more than they needed for the day, the leftovers would go bad. If they gathered what they needed each day, they had enough. I am thankful for enough.
Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment