Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea: Where is Your Treasure?

Are you a collector? I am, somewhat. I collect ducks that friends have given me because of my online name, and I love books and old blue canning jars. I like pretty things that catch my eye. Sometimes I bring them home, sometimes I don't. If something gets broken or messed up, sometimes I get upset, but I try not to let it bother me too badly. I try to remember Matthew 6:19-21 to help keep things in perspective:
19. Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

I think it is fine to have nice things here, and enjoy pretty things. But eventually all these things will fade away. Things like God's love, God's Word, those things will not fade away. When we lose a loved one here on earth, someone who has been faithful in his or her walk with God, or a child who passes away, I count them as treasures in heaven as well. I look forward to seeing faithful loved ones again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment