Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea: A Warning

Good morning! Its kind of a sleepy Saturday here at the house. J is getting used to a new medication and had a sleepless night, so dad and I had our share of the sleeplessness as well.
  Today we are finishing up chapter 7 of Matthew, verses 21 through 29. I won't copy them all, just the first few verses, but again I encourage you to read for yourself.

21. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23. And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Jesus has some fairly sobering thoughts here. At the time of judgement there will be those who thought they were doing the will of God, but will find they haven't. How frightening it would be to hear Jesus say, I never knew you, depart from me.
 Jesus continues to say that those who do the will of the Father are like a wise man who builds his house upon the rock. A firm foundation will keep a house from being destroyed when storms come.  Those who do not do the will  of the Father are like a foolish man who builds his house on the sand. The rains come, and the house falls apart. There is nothing for it to stand on. 
 At the end of the chapter when Jesus ended his talk on the mountain, the people marveled because he taught as one having authority. 
  If Jesus tells us that not every one who says Lord Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven, then there must be a plan we are to follow. We must study to know for ourselves what this plan is.  I will blog about the plan of salvation soon, but for now I want to focus on studying through the New Testament.  

No comments:

Post a Comment