Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Morning Cup of Tea: Matthew 3 and 4

Good morning! It is very early in my home (5:19 am) and not really quiet because J is awake. Insomnia hits him every now and then, and he gives me a short time of being good before he wants his breakfast so today's lesson is going to be short and sweet. Again, if you have any questions or comments please let me know. 
 Chapter 4 begins with John the baptizer in the wilderness. He has been baptizing people and preaching repentance, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. (v2) He is dressed simply in raiment of camel's hair and his diet is locusts and wild honey. This tells me he has been so intent on paving the way for Jesus, teaching about repentance and baptizing, he doesn't give much thought to anything else.
 Toward the end of the chapter Jesus come to his cousin to be baptized. John is humbled and confused. "I should be coming to you," he told him. But Jesus was baptized by John.
  In chapter 4 Jesus goes away to fast for 40 days and 40 nights. During this time I imagine he's praying and focusing on his coming mission - to save the lost. If I go more than a few hours without food I'm not feeling so well. But Jesus had been without physical food for 40 days and nights. His body has to be very weak at this point, I think. So the tempter pops up and the first thing he says is "turn those rocks into bread"
  Jesus answered, "It is written, man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."
  On the devil's second try he quoted scripture. But he wasn't quoting it for good, he was doing it for evil purposes. Jesus answered him, "It is written, thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God" (v7).A third time the devil throws out a temptation and a third time, Jesus responds with "It is written."  
  Jesus knew the scripture. He was both man and God here on earth. As a man, he was tempted. He was able to withstand those temptations. The lesson I carry from this is the fact that if we study and fill our hearts with God's word we will be better able to withstand temptation as well. Will we still stumble? Oh yes.  We are human. We are going to make mistakes. But if we would not think of going to battle without first being properly armed, why do we try to do battle against the temptations we face without God? Our armor is his Word. We stay in contact with him through prayer and bible study. And yet, we (I) foolishly think, I can handle this. Its usually during this time i realize I forgot my armor.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment