Monday, September 3, 2012

Do You Want a Funky Fresh Kitchen? Join the Challenge

In my last post I mentioned how fall is a great time to rethink things and kind of start over.  Well, Laura from Heavenly Homemakers  is thinking along the same lines. She is encouraging her readers to join her month long "Funky Fresh Kitchen Challenge and you can read the intro post here.  And here  is challenge number one. Throw out something in your kitchen and replace it with something healthier.
  For me, living on a limited budget, throwing something out food wise is pretty scary stuff. However, I want to feed my family better. I was tempted to buy some snack cakes for my son this weekend. I flipped the box to look at the ingredients, and one of the first things I saw was high fructose corn syrup. Ew! No, it isn't the same thing as sugar and your body does not process it the same. I chose another box of snack cakes to try, and although it did not have hfcs, the ingredient list was longer than my arm and I could barely pronounce most of the ingredients. The snack cakes stayed on the shelf. 
  I'm not going to sit here and pretend that prepackaged food doesn't come into my house. It does. I just don't buy it as often. I make my own mac and cheese and hamburger -pasta meals. That alone cuts down on the amount of sodium, MSG, and preservatives being taken in. My biggest down fall? Snack foods. I have good intentions about making cookies and brownies and such from scratch but it doesn't always happen. So. I'm thinking now would be the time to throw out the idea of buying a boxed brownie mix (there isn't any in the house at the moment) and actually make a batch from scratch. Who knows? Maybe I will decide to make up some mixes for future use. Can I stick with this? We shall see. Follow me this month and check my progress.
  What about you? Are you ready to take the Funky Fresh Kitchen Challenge? Read Laura's post to find out that funky means functional, and let us know if you're ready to join in. What will you throw out this week? I'd love to hear from you. 

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I'm in the kitchen all the time cooking something, it gets hard some times. Hopefully this challenge will motivate us to make some changes for the better. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete