Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Morning Cup of Tea: Thou Shalt See Greater Things Than These

 Good morning! It's a chilly morning here in my neck of the woods. Still beautiful, though. I've been discussing the first chapter of John with my husband, who grew up in the church. 
  I'm finding this chapter interesting, because it gives a little background on how some of the disciples met Jesus. Andrew had been a follower of John the baptizer, and apparently was there when Jesus was baptized, or heard John speak of him, because he and another follower of John decided to follow Jesus in order to learn more about him. Jesus spoke with them, and showed them where he was staying at the time, and they stayed with him for the night. Andrew introduced his brother Peter to Jesus, and Jesus told him he would be called Cephas, which means  a stone. It was during this time that Jesus met Philip and Nathanael. Nathanael instantly believed on Jesus when Jesus told him he had seen him sitting under a fig tree.
  Jesus replied to this Because I said unto thee I saw thee under the fig tree believest thou? Thou shalt see greater things than these (v50).
 And he said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, hereafter you shall see heaven open, and see the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.(v51.)
  I am so looking forward to reading John and hearing this account of the life of Jesus. What a wonderful opportunity we have, to be able to read God's word and know the love that he has for us. Have a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment