Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Morning Cup of Tea: Jesus Speaks in the Temple

 Good morning! Yesterday I had fully planned to continue discussing chapter 8, but I got derailed at  It is written. I don't think that is a bad thing. I truly believe we need to commit much of the bible to memory. It will help us in our daily walk with Christ and it will bring comfort to us when we are down, and it will help in teaching others about Christ. When our minds are full of the good things it is much harder for the bad things to penetrate. For now I'm going to focus on Psalm 119:11 "Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee", (King James) and 2 Timothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." Also King James version. You can choose the version with which you are most comfortable; I grew up with this version and enjoy it more.  If you choose to embark on this journey 'hiding the word in your heart' with me, please let me know how it's going for you.
  Today we are focusing on verses 21 to 32 in chapter 8 of John. Jesus has so much to say in this chapter. He is teaching them that he has been sent by the Father to us. In these few verses he told the people that where he goes they cannot come because they will die in their sins if they do not believe in him (Jesus). He was doing nothing from himself; everything he did -the miracles, the teaching, it all came from God the Father.
  As he continued to speak, many began to believe on him. He admonished them, as well as us today, " If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (v31, 32)
  Verse 31 should serve as witness. We can't just hear the word, believe Jesus is the Son of God, repent of our sins, be baptized into Christ and sit back and continue on with life as normal because we are "safe". Jesus said we are to continue in his word. If we continue living like we did before baptism then really all we did was get wet. While we are still going to stumble and fall, we shouldn't  just shrug and not try to live our lives as Christ wants us to. We have record of what he wants us to do with our lives. We should encourage one another to live for Christ. Lift one another up in prayer. Continue the daily walk. Not so that others see how great we are, for we are not. They should see God in us. We all stumble; let's be there for one another and help on the journey.
  Have a great day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment