Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Morning Cup of Tea: The Bread of Life

Good morning!  It's such a beautiful day out over here. I'm so happy because I get to spend time with my brothers and sisters in Christ tonight. My family and I visited with a dear friend last night. She has such a love for God, and for others. We are blessed to know her and her husband. 
 Today we are finishing up chapter 6 of John. There is much to chew on in this chapter, so please read it for yourself. I cannot do it justice nearly enough. 
  In verse 22 where we begin today, Jesus and the twelve he had chosen had crossed over the sea and are now in Capernaum. The multitudes he had fed yesterday, not being able to find him, also came looking for him.
  Have you ever fed a stray cat and discovered you now have another mouth to feed on a regular basis? I've done that myself and now the cats of the neighborhood know how to tell time. They get fed twice a day because I can't seem to turn them away. If you're hungry I'm gonna feed you if I can, whether human or animal.
  Well, most of the ones who had come to Capernaum looking for Jesus were like the stray cats here in my neighborhood. You fed us once, now what have you got for us? Jesus knew this and he told them so. He told them that he, Jesus, was the bread they should be seeking, because he gave life. 
 35. And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
  Jesus told the people that he was sent down from Heaven so that they might live. He alluded to his death and resurrection (v 39,40). The people began to scoff. (My words here) Jesus is saying he was sent from heaven? We know his parents, Mary and Joseph! What does he mean, saying he is bread from heaven!
  Jesus explained once again, and when he says to them that they could not live without eating his flesh and drinking his blood, he was alluding once again to his death and resurrection, and also the symbols of his blood and body (fruit of the vine and unleavened bread) of which we partake each first day of the week. He wasn't suggesting cannibalism there, simply that they believe. Again, read this chapter for yourself. Jesus has much to say here.
 Some of his disciples had a hard time understanding all of this. Jesus spoke to them, and some turned away, never to follow him again. Jesus knew from the start who believed and who didn't. Jesus also knew who would betray him. Although he did not name him, he did say to the 12 that he had chosen each of them, and one is a devil (v70)
  It was John who told us in his writing in verse 71 that Jesus spoke of Judas Iscariot.
  Have a great day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment