Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Gratituesday: My Son

  Yesterday we celebrated our son J's nineteenth (!!!) birthday. As celebrations go, it was fairly quiet. We spent time with family, the birthday boy took a long afternoon nap, and then Grandma made tacos and we had cupcakes for dessert. J loved all the attention he got.  I was happy to see all the birthday wishes for him on Facebook. 
   When I see other parents rave about their children's accomplishments I read them with joy for them. I confess to having a little sadness at times as well, because some of those accomplishments J will never manage. That sadness is for me though, not for J. It would be wasted on him for he is happy with life. He has true joy in life: he is happiest with family and others who know and love him. He enjoys music of almost every genre whether it be hymns, classical, Latin hip hop, classic rock, country, jazz, or international, or almost anything else. He loves to eat, and I think that is his only worry in life -that someone will forget he needs to eat.  As I've told him time and again, we haven't let him starve yet.
  In many ways he's a typical teenager: he enjoys sleeping and eating, loves to tease (he loves showing me that he's a lot taller than I am), and does not want his "siblings" in his bedroom. Ever. (In his case, those would be cats. He's just not a cat person. He takes after his Papa on that one).  
  In other ways, he's not typical. He's not really verbal, meaning he is not likely to carry on a conversation with you in a way you're used to. If you are patient and listen, he does talk. He says some words appropriately now and then, but he converses much more with the heart. He uses facial expression, sounds, and some sign to communicate. He knows more sign language than he chooses to use however. He isn't one to sit and play video games or watch television. He will listen to music constantly, and will sometimes watch someone else play games for a bit. There are a few movies or shows that he will try to sit and watch now and again, but he's not one to sit still for long. He loves moving around.
  I catch myself calling him "Baby" still. While he will always be my baby in my heart, he is so much more now. He isn't the little high pitched two year old he once was. He's fully grown in size, and he's changed so much over the years. He continually teaches me new things.  I am thankful that God has blessed us with J.
 This post is shared with Heavenly Homemakers  as part of Gratituesday. Please join us!

2 comments:

  1. I saw your comment on my post and thought I'd stop by your post too! Your son sounds like such a joy! Although, I'm sure at times its exhausting. We're dealing with my oldest and a possibility of Asperger's. I've just noticed a lot of traits and quirks shall we say that need addressed. I'm so happy that you're enjoying your "baby" even if he is 19!! I have several friends with Austistic children and I do find they are such a JOY when you let them be who they are. Thanks for stopping by my page and for posting your heart here today!

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for stopping by! He truly is a joy, even when he's a handful. :)

    ReplyDelete