Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Morning Cup of Tea: The Passover

  Good morning! Looks like we may get some rain in my area. If we do I hope it waits till my blanket is brought in from the line. J's routine has changed a bit this week, and he is sitting here at the table with me. While I write I am also keeping him out of trouble. I'm now having to listen to the wheels on the bus while writing but that's what he wants to hear at the moment.
 Today we are in Luke chapter 22, verses 1-34. In the days before the Passover, Judas Iscariot met with the chief priests and scribes, to discuss how to betray Jesus.
 For the Passover, Jesus sent some of his disciples to secure a guest chamber so they might celebrate the feast. He told them the man to follow and whom to ask. At the feast itself, Jesus instituted what is known as the Lord's Supper, or communion. In remembrance of Jesus, on the first day of the week we partake of the bread and the fruit of the vine to symbolize his broken body and the blood he shed for us.
  It was then that Jesus announced one of of the disciples would betray him. This of course shocked most of them, because they couldn't imagine any of the twelve doing something like this. Why would anyone want to? 
  Once again, in verses 25 through 27 Jesus teaches about being a servant first if you wish to be great in the kingdom. I've noticed in my reading that Jesus speaks often of the first being last and the last being first, so I try to sit up and take notice when he does. In this world of me, me, me what's in it for me, it is important for us to remember that there are others to consider.
  Interestingly, beginning in verse 31, Jesus addresses Peter. He tells him, "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat.
 " But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not; and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren."
 Peter reminds me so often of myself :headstrong, passionate, sure he knows how he will handle a situation. He told Jesus he is ready to go with him, both to prison and to death. It was then that Jesus told him that before the rooster crowed, Peter would deny Jesus three times.
  Peter had a good heart. He loved Jesus dearly and was fiercely loyal. But Jesus let him know he still had much to learn and was human, just like the rest of us. He would mess up sometimes. But that's okay. We can be forgiven.
  Have a great day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment