Thursday, February 28, 2013

Product Review: Applegate Naturals Sunday Bacon

www.applegate.comLike many other families, The Hubby, J, and I have been trying to eat healthier. Because of the nitrites and nitrates in bacon and other processed meats, as well as price, we rarely buy bacon anymore. Then by chance a few weeks ago I was reading posts from a healthy group on Facebook. Someone mentioned Applegate meats.   Intrigued, I checked it out. No nitrites or nitrates added. Gluten and casein free. I was curious, so I asked The Hubby to pick up something with the Applegate label, preferably bacon, on his way home from work. Our local store doesn't carry it, sadly.
  On the label it proclaims, All natural, Hickory smoked. It's minimally processed meat and the pork was raised on sustainable family farms in a stress free environment that promotes natural behavior and socialization. I'm not exactly sure what that means. But they were not given antibiotics, I'm happy to hear, and they are fed a vegetarian grain diet. Okay. So far so good. But does it taste good?
  We cooked up the package this morning, and the three of us agree that it tastes great. I would be very happy to purchase the bacon or any Applegate product again. While bacon isn't something I want everyday in my diet, natural or not, it's definitely worth a splurge once or twice a month for us, I think. 
  In case you're wondering, the ingrdients stated on the package include pork, sea salt, contains less than 2% of the following: evaporated cane syrup, celery powder. 
 If you would like more information, go to their facebook page, Applegate   
or to their website,  www.applegate.com
***All opinions are mine, I was not asked to do this review.   

1 comment:

  1. I've been buying "Hebrew National" hot dogs. They don't have nitrites, etc in them, but I don't know about the other things. Thanks for this information!

    ReplyDelete