Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Grateful For...

Each week Laura, from Heavenly Homemakers encourages us to reflect on something we are grateful for and share. Most weeks, since I've become a blogger, I've joined in. It's something I enjoy tremendously, and I like visiting other blogs to see where they are in their lives. Because of the busyness of life I don't get to keep up with them as much as I'd like, but I'm grateful they are there, and grateful that we can encourage one another and share our lives a bit.
  The past few days my emotions have run the gamut from happy to sad to angry, to who knows what. I've felt like a kernel of popcorn in a pan, never knowing when I would explode, or with what emotion. Even when happy I seem to be leaking tears. It makes no sense to me.
   In the past twenty four hours we've gone from 7 kittens to 5, one from illness and the other a victim of a tom cat. That cat is leaving this house never to return. As I dealt with that, early this morning long before the sun was up, I remembered that today was Gratituesday, and wondered if there was anything to be grateful for. Yep, at approximately 3 AM, I'm a bit of a drama queen.
   The more I thought about it though, there is much to be thankful for. I am a blessed person. I have a house to live in, we have food to eat, we have a running car that takes us where we need to go. Yes, we have bills that we struggle with, and a son with medical problems, and on and on and on. But I am blessed more than I deserve. I have a Saviour who loved me, a sinner, enough to die for my sins so that I wouldn't have to. All I had to do was accept the gift through obedience to His Word.  I have a husband who loves me and encourages me. I get to see J's smiles, feel his (sporadic) hugs, hear his infectious laughter.
   Yesterday my family and I had photos taken. J is a ham in front of the cameras. He was in such a good mood. One shot was supposed to be the three of us together, faces toward the camera. J chose that moment to lean way into his dad and reach up to pull me into a hug. You don't see J's face but you do see the love and fun. J's personality shines through. That one will be on my wall right along with the more traditional pose we chose to keep.
  At this very moment I have one kitten that I need to watch because he is showing some signs of illness, but seems to be okay, and four others who are bouncing around, jumping playfully with one another and climbing my legs to sit on my lap. They are learning the joys of cat food, and one nearly had me rolling on the floor listening to him growl to keep the others away from his food. He even stretched his paw over the bowl! I'll miss the little darlings when they are gone but they do need to find new homes.
     I could go on and on with my list of blessings, but here is the point: even when there is much to make me sad or angry or frustrated, there is still much to be thankful for. There is a song in White Christmas that Bing Crosby sings, called Counting My Blessings. He says in the song that instead of counting sheep, he goes to sleep counting his blessings. It always turns my mood around if I give it a chance. What about you? Do you count your blessings? What are you grateful for today?

Join us at Heavenly Homemakers  for Gratituesday. See what others are grateful for today, and maybe add your own. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm feeling like a popcorn kernel right now. Great analogy. Time to sit back and start counting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete