Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Morning Cup of Tea: Jesus Reveals the Betrayer

Good morning! Have you adjusted to daylight savings time yet, if you live in a state that still relies on this? I confess, I have not. I usually wake up sometime in the middle of the night.. you know.. for the sake of walking through the house and toddle on back to bed.. and this morning I woke to darkness once again. J was up and happily announcing it was time to be awake and eat. I told him to go back to bed because it wasn't time to be up yet. He didn't believe me. He was right. I looked at my phone (no clocks in the house. Gotta remedy that) and it was 7AM. Oops. Time to be up.
  So long story short, I fixed his breakfast, fed the cats, got dressed, and got side tracked. All in the space of about an hour and a half. So far so good, right? he he.
  Today we are finishing up chapter 13 of John, beginning with verse 18.  Jesus had been speaking to his disciples and had announced that one would betray him.  One of the disciples, described as whom Jesus loved, was leaning on Jesus at this time. Peter motioned to him (probably John) to ask Jesus who the betrayer was. Jesus answered that the person to whom he gave a piece of bread dipped in the sop was the one who would do it. He of course, gave it to Judas and told him, That thou doest, do quickly. Judas left to do what he was to do but the other disciples didn't quite understand yet. John says in verses 28 and 29 that they thought since Judas was the holder of the money, Jesus was sending him out to get what they needed for the Passover feast.
  Jesus spoke to the eleven remaining disciples and told them that soon he would go where they could not follow just yet, but they would, in time. He urged them to love one another (this is a lesson for us as well) just as he loved them.
 35.By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
 Peter asked, Why can't I follow you now? I will lay down my life for your sake.
 It was then that Jesus questioned him on this, and told him that the rooster would not crow before Peter had denied Jesus three times.
  John has given us such insight to the last days of Jesus before the crucifixion. He obviously loved Jesus like a brother. If you have not read the book of John, I encourage you to do so. We still have some chapters to go. Until next time, have a great day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment