Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Morning Cup of Tea: Sending the Seventy

Good morning! Today's reading is Luke 10: 1-24. I do hope you will read it for yourself. This bible study has helped me because although I've missed a few days, I haven't given up. Things have been pointed out to me after reading, and I've realized how much I have yet to learn. I am by no means perfect. Although we should strive to be more and more like Jesus everyday, I am very thankful that we don't have to be perfect every single day. We have grace. That does not mean we can go out and deliberately sin without consequence. It means we can slip up and ask forgiveness.
  Today I learned through the reading that Jesus appointed seventy people besides the apostles, and gave them power to heal the sick and cast out devils also. I hadn't known that. They were sent out to teach, two by two, the way the apostles were, and were told not to take anything with them. They were to stay in one home in each place they went, and eat what they were given. They came back filled with joy at what  they could do and the power they had over devils. But Jesus told them something we should pay attention to Luke 10:20b but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.  They were rejoicing because of the gift they were given, having power over devils. He was telling them not to rejoice over that fact, but to rejoice because they were heaven bound!  No matter what we have here on earth -family, friends, possessions, special gifts, nothing should trump the fact that our names are written in heaven.  

No comments:

Post a Comment