Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Autism Awareness

Autism awareness month is just around the corner. For this family though, that's pretty much every month. Every day we deal with it. We aren't alone in this.  The prevalence is 1 in 88 births. For males, the rate is higher. We still do not know what causes autism. Although there are a lot of theories out there, it's frustrating that an awful lot of money seems to be spent on "proving" what doesn't cause autism. Personally I think there are a few culprits out there, but I'm not a scientist so no one really cares what i believe on that point. 

Yes, I do believe that vaccines are part of the problem. I also believe that there are other factors involved. Furthermore, I believe there are things that we can do to help our children. Are children with autism ever totally "cured"?  I don't know, quite honestly. 

In the next several weeks, each Wednesday I would like to post about autism. Facts, websites, personal stories from parents/relatives/ those who work with children and adults with autism. Please feel free to contact me with your own stories: the good, the bad and the ugly. Do you use medications to help your child? Therapies? Alternative helps such as diet, essential oils? Please feel free to contact me via email (duckigrrl@gmail.com). Please put Autism in the subject line so I'll know.  Also, feel free to contact me on Facebook or leave comments here. I do ask that messages be respectful. Please be aware that I may share what you tell me, although I will not use names unless given permission to do so. 


autism photo:  autism.png

No comments:

Post a Comment