Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Gratituesday: The Blessing of a Simple Date

As I write this, I am happily full from some of the leftovers from last night's dinner. While I do love leftovers ( less to cook), most don't leave me overly excited. This time, however, it's from one of my favorite restaurants. We splurged a little last night, hubby and I did. In celebration of both our birthdays, paying off the car, and just the fact that for the first time in a long, long time, we were alone.
    If you're even the least bit familiar with this blog you know that my son has moderate autism. He is with us all day, every day. But last night, my mom and older brother blessed us with the offer to have J over for the evening and we accepted. At first I was having doubts that we'd even make it out of town before we got the phone call to come get him. After all, he's known to be noisy, loud, rambunctious, and can meltdown in a hurry. But the new medications seem to be working. He did rather well over there and was for the most part, quiet.
  Meanwhile, the hubs and I took this opportunity to dine at a restaurant we both like. The prices are fair and they load you down with a lot of food. In my refrigerator sits enough leftovers to feed at least four people. After dinner we found our way to a few stores, just doing regular shopping that needed to be done for the week and enjoying one another's company. We marveled at how nice it was to be at a grocery store without an adult sized child fretting over being there, shrieking at the top of his lungs to let everyone know he's there, or sitting or lying down in the middle of the aisle because we stopped to compare items. 
   While I don't expect to have one on one dates every week, this one sure was nice. I think J enjoyed the hours away from us as well. Meanwhile, I'll be off to the grocery store once again soon enough because I promised J that I'd make some pizza today for dinner if he did well last night.  

This post is part of Gratituesday. 
Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment